International Students

Print Friendly


International Students

Am I eligible for United States federal funding?

Print Friendly

International students do not qualify for federal assistance. If you are not a US citizen or Green Card holder, you will not be eligible for federal funding.

Can I get a job in the United States?

Print Friendly

International students may work for up to 20 hours per week in select positions only on the University campus. Students who are not US citizens or Green Card holders may not work off campus.

Am I eligible for the Whole Person Scholarship and Merit Scholarships?

Print Friendly

International students are eligible for the Whole Person Scholarship and all Merit Scholarships; awards are considered through the same process. When your completed application is submitted (application, transcripts, test scores) you will be automatically considered for a possible Merit Scholarship. You must be admitted and nominated to be considered for the Whole Person Scholarship.

What is the weather like in Tulsa, Oklahoma?

Print Friendly

The weather in Tulsa varies throughout the seasons. It is not uncommon to experience temperatures of 40 degrees Celsius in the summer and below freezing in the winter. For more information please visit weather.com.

Who is considered an international student?

Print Friendly

Any student who is not a citizen of the United States or does not hold a Green Card.

How many international students attend ORU?

Print Friendly

The student body at ORU is very diverse. Each year students from over 60 countries come to study at ORU. The top five countries international students come from are India, South Korea, Nigeria, Brazil, and Canada.

Can I transfer from another college in the US?

Print Friendly

Yes. You will need to speak with your International Admissions Counselor at the University you currently attend and request a transfer. You must first be admitted to ORU. Following this, your Admissions Counselor will give you a “release date” after which you will receive a new I-20 from ORU. Once you arrive at ORU you will need to follow up with the International Counselor to complete the process.

What are the admissions requirements for international students?

Print Friendly

The requirements for admission include a completed application, high school or college transcripts and test scores (SAT, ACT or TOEFL).  These requirements are the same for students who are citizens or international. For instructions on how international students submit transcripts please below.

How do I submit my transcripts?

Print Friendly

ORU works with World Education Services (WES) for international transcript evaluation. WES will evaluate foreign transcripts and translate them into a 4.0 scale. Please visit wes.org to learn more about submitting foreign transcripts.

What is the Visa process?

Print Friendly

After completing the Admissions process (submitting application, test scores and transcripts) the process of applying for a visa will begin.

You will first need to contact the American Embassy or Consulate in your country and schedule an interview.

When attending ORU on an F-1 student visa, all financial requirements must be proven in order for ORU to issue the immigration document I-20 form.

The ORU Financial Guarantee Form must be completed fully including:

Signature of applicant with understanding of cost of education.

Signature of Affidavit and understanding of cost of education by the Guarantor.

Signature and Seal of the financial institution of the Guarantor.

  1. If the institution is unable to sign the Financial Guarantee Form, a letter from the institution on letterhead with seal and signature is required, verifying the financial ability of the Guarantor.

Once the Financial Guarantee Form is received by the Admissions Office you will be mailed an I-20 which you will bring with you to your embassy interview.

You will also need to pay a SEVIS fee at least 3 days before your embassy interview. The SEVIS fee is $200 and must be paid in advance of visiting the embassy. For SEVIS go to https://egov.ice.gov/sevis.

Once each of these steps are completed, you are ready for your embassy interview.

What information should I know about traveling to the United States?

Print Friendly

Please read the Arrival Procedures for students and exchange visitors document on the following website: https://www.cbp.gov/travel/international-visitors

What payment methods do you accept?

Print Friendly

We accept the following payment types in the Student Accounts Office: Cash, Check, Visa, Mastercard, Discover, Money Orders, Cashier’s Checks and via a US Bank Wire Transfer.

For payments made online: Visa, Mastercard, Discover or ACH electronic payment from your US bank account. Payments online can be made via the http://www.oru.edu/current_students/pay_online/

For International students we accept International wire transfers via Flywire at oru.flywire.com

For information regarding a monthly payment plan, please see information in this section.

How do I make international payments?

Print Friendly

We are partnering with Flywire to provide you with an easy and secure method of sending international payments. We ask that you please discontinue using your old banking details and send your next payment through Flywire at  oru.flywire.com .

Flywire is Oral Roberts University’s preferred method for international payments, which allows you to:

  • Track your payment from start to finish
  • Pay from any country and any bank
  • Save on bank fees and exchange rates
  • Receive peace of mind with dedicated multilingual customer support


Leave a Reply