• A parent must be the student’s biological or adoptive parent or the student’s stepparent, if the biological or adoptive parent has remarried at the time of application.
• The student must be a dependent childwho is enrolled at least half-time at a school that participates in the Direct Loan Program. For financial aid purposes, a student is considered dependent if he or she is under 24 years old, unmarried, and has no legal dependents at the time the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is submitted.
• If a student is considered dependent, then the income and the assets of the parent have to be reported on the FAFSA.
• The parent and their dependent student must be U.S. citizens or eligible noncitizens and must not be in default on any federal education loans or owe an overpayment on a federal education grant.
• Parent PLUS loan borrowers cannot have an adverse credit history (a credit check will be done) or they must apply with an endorser.
Posted in: PLUS