/ What should I do if I have a special/unusual family situation that affects my dependency status on the FAFSA?

Print Friendly

If you have a special or unusual family situation (for example, you were abandoned by your parents, you were forced to leave home due to an abuse, etc.) and you can document those circumstances, you might qualify for a Dependency Override. A Dependency Override is a type of Professional Judgment that will change your FAFSA dependency status from dependent to independent. As an independent student, you would not have to report parental information on your FAFSA.

First, you will need to submit a FAFSA without parental information. Once you have submitted the FAFSA, new students will need to contact their Enrollment Counselor in Admissions to discuss the financial aid review process. Returning students will need to contact Student Service Group at 918-495-6510 to discuss the financial aid review process.

Posted in: Professional Judgements

Leave a Reply